Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cornbread and stew

Blog Hop!The Kings Court IV





The King's Court 

I love to cook, but to find the time can be hard. I also seem to always have the
same thing over and over and over and over!
BUT I LOVE TO COOK WITH MY CROCKPOT OR SLOW COOKER!!
What a fabulous invention!
The other morning I started stew. Stew is so simple to make and can be
different each time. 
My stew had stew meat, potatoes, cabbage, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, and carrots.

I must add the cabbage and carrots were on sale, I got a sack of fresh tomatoes of 69 cents that were starting to get soft, and the fresh mushrooms were on sale for 69 cents because they were starting to get old. I love getting things on sale, but remember if you are not going to use it right away it is going to be a waste of money. 69 cents can add up!


 

In my stew I added some water, brown gravy mix, steak sauce cavendar's seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Sorry I don't have measurements, I just put a dash and this and a sprinkle of that, until it tastes good to me!



You can't eat stew with out something to dip in it. You want to get every little bit including the juices. I have to admit at my house the cornbread is the biggest hit! We make it in a 9 x 13 pan and it all gets eaten.




I find the secret is making it homemade. I know there is great sales on cornbread mixes and it is quick and easy, but if you have never tried a homemade batch please do, it is delicious.

I am lucky because I live and work on my family farm. We grind our corn for our cattle every fall. While grinding I collect the corn meal, or corn that is mashed into a fine flour, clean it and use it for my cornbread. It makes me feel like my cornbread is extra special by using our own corn.

My son standing on top of the corn we raised to feed our cows in beautiful Nebraska!
 Maddux Cornbread

2/3 cup butter                                
1 cup sugar                                    
3 eggs
1  2/3 c. milk                                 
2  1/3 c. four                                   
1 c. cornmeal
4  1/2 teaspoon baking powder                              
1 teaspoon salt

Cream butter and sugar. Combine eggs and milk. Combine flour, corn meal, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture, alternating with egg mixture. Pour in greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 22-27 minutes. Enjoy!

I am trying a new crock-pot recipe today and I am very excited about it. I will definitely be sharing it if it turns out! Have a great day!



Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Your Crockpot recipe sounds like a lot of mine. I just toss things in that I think would make a good combination, and generally they do. Measure? Not me. Lob from across the kitchen is more like it. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Followed Pattie here and sure glad I did. Fabulous Crock-pot recipe and guess what, January just happens to be National Slow Cooker Month!!! I think I'm more drawn to the corn bread though just because it must be absolutely amazing to be baking with what you grew yourself. Good for YOU & Yours!

    Thank you so much for sharing...if you get a moment, you are more than welcome to visit my blog; Months of Edible Celebrations:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Pattie and Louise for visiting my blog. I hope you keep stopping by, I am just getting started, but I am enjoying blogging.

    ReplyDelete